NFL.com

GREEN BAY PACKERS HEAD COACH MIKE MCCARTHY - Ingles

Super Bowl XLV – Tuesday, February 01, 2011














(on when he realized he wanted to be a head coach) “When I was in college at Baker University, I had the opportunity to talk to our head coach at the time, Charlie Richard and our offensive coordinator Dan Harris. When I went out to Fort Hays State University as a graduate assistant, I was really just looking into the coaching profession. I had an opportunity to coach, but I also started the first semester getting my MBA. I was a business major. After the first semester is when I knew coaching is what I wanted to do and I pursued it ever since then. I can still remember one of the classes that I had taken that system called, ‘Coaching Today’s Athlete.’ It really made an impact on me. Just like every other coach in the profession, there are coaches you have throughout your life that make an impression on you. From that day forward, I knew this is what I wanted to do.”



(on whether there is a head coach who shaped his coaching philosophy) “There are a number of head coaches – I definitely look back on it – that I have respect for. It started in my youth in Pittsburgh – Coach Chuck Noll had great success and his approach. He was such a fundamentalist in the 70’s in Pittsburgh. You go through high school as a high school basketball player. Our high school basketball coach Fran McGee Mannion, who recently just passed away in the last year, he made a tremendous impact on all the players who played for him over the years at Bishop Boyle High School. Charlie Richard at Baker University; Jim Sampson, who was a junior college coach; just on-and-on-and-on. Once I got into the profession, I really give a lot of thanks and appreciation to Paul Hackett and Marty Schottenheimer – not only the opportunity they gave me, but I learned so much from those two men, their families and their wives, and their whole approach to the profession. You never forget guys like Jim Haslett. Jim Haslett gave me an opportunity to be a coordinator for the first time in New Orleans. That was a great experience, especially with Jim being a defensive head coach. That was something I felt like I grew a lot in that experience in New Orleans. There are so many people who I have been fortunate enough to work for as head coaches, but more importantly assistant coaches. To be on a staff with Jon Gruden and Marvin Lewis at Pittsburgh, Scotty O’Brien; the University of Pittsburgh staff, almost everyone of them has coached in the National Football League. Then you go on to your first NFL staff. In Kansas City in 1993, I was sitting in a room with Alex Gibbs, Al Saunders, Jimmy Raye, Kurt Schottenheimer, Paul Hackett. Our quarterbacks were Joe Montana and Dave Krieg and they were in their mid-30’s. I was very fortunate and very blessed to be around a lot excellent football people at a young age.”

Nota completa...

Posted by Necesitamos Mas Football on 5:16 p. m.. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

0 comentarios for GREEN BAY PACKERS HEAD COACH MIKE MCCARTHY - Ingles

Publicar un comentario

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Photo Gallery