NFL.com

Dolphins fans are not a happy group


The fan protest at Miami Dolphins headquarters on Tuesday created a ground swell powerful enough to reach the top of the embattled franchise.

Team owner Steve Ross reached out to at least one of those upset fans Thursday night, calling protester Jason Lawrence, a Dolphins' season ticket holder for more than 20 years.

Among the topics Lawrence said the two discussed during the 27-minute call: The Dolphins would have cut Brandon Marshall if they had not traded him; the Dolphins could have had Matt Flynn if they really wanted him; and Tim Tebow was not a good fit for Miami's offense.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee arranged the call, which a team spokesman confirmed took place. Lawrence was interviewed Tuesday by the Sun Sentinel along with about 30 others outside the team's Davie training complex.

"I was nervous as hell," Lawrence said. "I was shaking, and everything. I thought they were going to be upset. ...It was the coolest thing I ever did in my whole life."

Lawrence said he asked about the decision to trade leading wide receiver Marshall to Chicago for two third-round draft picks. Twice, Lawrence said, Ross would not say if the Dolphins were rebuilding. He told Lawrence moving Marshall was not about money, but more about protecting team morale.

"[Ross] said they had been shopping [Marhsall] for a couple weeks," Lawrence said. "Nobody would return their phone calls about getting him. If Chicago didn't take [Marshall] … they would have ended up cutting him very shortly after that, and got nothing."

Lawrence said Ross was upset about not signing Peyton Manning, who wrote Ross a letter explaining why he did not pick the Dolphins. Ross said he met Manning, who picked the Denver Broncos this week, one-on-one for an hour and a half.

"[Ross] said Peyton Manning wasn't comfortable with the Dolphins, and he understands it 100 percent," Lawrence said.

Flynn, believed to be the Dolphins second free-agent quarterback target, reportedly received a three-year deal with $26 million including $10 million guaranteed from the Seatte Seahawks.

"[Ross] goes, 'If my coachwanted Matt Flynn didn't you think he would be here?'" Lawrence said. "'If my coach said I want Matt Flynn as our starting quarterback next year he would be here, but I couldn't pay Matt Flynn $8 million to come here. If I end up getting him, it's a gamble … and I'm still drafting a quarterback. I'm still looking for another option."

Ross said 49ers quarterback Alex Smith wanted to play in Miami, but he could not justify paying $8 million annually when Matt Moore - already on the roster with comprable production – could be the starter.

Chasing Tim Tebow, who was traded from the Denver to the New York Jets was not an option, Lawrence said.

"[Ross] told the staff immediately unless Tim Tebow can help them win they're not interested in getting him," Lawrence said.

On the Dolphins' decision to cut former team captain and safety Yeremiah Bell, who led the Dolphins in tackles for four consecutive seasons, Ross told Lawrence he was remorseful.

Ross told Lawrence he is 100 percent committed to winning, then painted an interesting picture.

"[Ross] said, 'I'm telling you right now I want to sit next to you and I want to beat my chest with you,'" Lawrence said. "'I didn't buy this team to make money, or to run a business. I'm passionate. I want to win, I'm a winner.'"

(source South Florida Sun Sentinel)

Posted by Necesitamos Mas Football on 1:21 p. m.. Filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

0 comentarios for Dolphins fans are not a happy group

Publicar un comentario

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Photo Gallery